Monday, May 16, 2011

redoing old furniture part #1


Hay every one I went to a auction the other night and only payed 20.00 dollars for this old dresser. Well the first thing I did was to repair all the wood parts that were bad.Loose boards-top was warped and the rollers on legs were rusty so I put them in oil to soak.In order to fix warped top I put a pan of water in side and created steam .I then clamped the top after adding wood glue.This made the top st rate.I let the glue dry for 24 hours.Now the fun starts I tried something new this Professional strength Turf - Strip made by CROWN ,this is some great paint remover.You spray it on and I waited 10min. and scraped it off.This is the best I have ever used.Well I let this set for two days to dry out.O by the way make sure you have a well ventilated area to strip paint.After that comes the sanding and to do a good job there is a lot of it.I first used a 80grit-then a 100grit and ended with a 150 grit.The next important part is to make sure you clean all sanding dust off. I take a old paint brush to sweep the small cracks and then I use a tack rag. Then to make sure I will vacuum it.Well it is all sanded and ready for stain.Will stain in the morning and show what it looks like in after noon. See Ya Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment