Friday, March 25, 2011

Make a bench out of bed head post


So cool, I go out to goodwill stores and yard sales and try to find head and foot boards for 10.00 each.In order to make a good bench you need to get both pieces.This is what make the bench special.I take the foot board and cut it to the size seat I want to have. I like to make my seats 20 1/2 in. wide.I think thisgives the bench a good dimension.Then I go to Lowes and get 6 -1in.by 1 1/2in. by 8 foot long.I will cut these to make my seat slats.I also get one 1in. by 6in. by 8 foot long.This will be cut to use as the front lip for seat.I will take a dowel rod 1/2in. and cut it in to 2in. pices.It takes 14 to make a bench.I found by using these dowel pins it makes the bench stronger.I mark and drill my holes 1 1/8 deep this makes room for the wood glue to work.Also I only use water proof glue whitch is good if you plan to put your bench outside.I have 2 pictures of benches I made one is a queen and the other is a twin.Total cost of each bench is about 25.00.cool ha.Need any help making one let me know

1 comment: